When does a full-term baby need to be in the neonatal intensive care unit?

Some full-term babies need to be in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) as a result of medical conditions ranging from common problems to the more severe, and they should be addressed on a case-by-case basis. A few conditions that might result in a full-term infant transfering to the NICU include low blood sugars, meconium aspiration, neonatal abstinence syndrome and anatomic malformations. In general, being full term does decrease the risk of medical issues, but it doesn't guarantee they won't arise.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

What kinds of catheters are used in critical care?
Julia Vicente, MSNJulia Vicente, MSN
A catheter by definition is a "tubular, flexible surgical instrument that is inserted into a cavity ...
How can I accurately gauge my pain level to get proper care in the ER?
To accurately guage your pain level to get proper care in the emergency room (ER), rate the pain on ...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has Critical Care Changed?
How Has Critical Care Changed?