Who needs an advance medical directive?

Unexpected critical care situations can happen at any age, so all adults, not just the ill or elderly, need advance medical directives. Although you probably know how you feel about emergency medical treatment issues, there may come a time in the future when you are seriously injured or too ill to be able to make or communicate decisions about medical treatment for yourself. In such a situation, advance medical directives provide a record of your wishes so that your family and doctors have a guide in making medical treatment decisions on your behalf that are consistent with your values, beliefs, and preferences.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Can my family stay with me in critical care?
Deb CordesDeb Cordes
Many hospitals have "open visitation" which means that you can visit at any time of the day and nigh...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?