Q

Critical Care

When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for flu symptoms?

• A Emergency Medicine, answered on behalf of
    When Should I Go to the Emergency Room for Flu Symptoms?
    You should go to the emergency room for flu symptoms if you’re experiencing more diarrhea, dehydration, weakness or shortness of breath. Watch Jayson Tappan, MD, of Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center, explain more.
    When Should I Go to the Emergency Room (ER) for Flu Symptoms?
    People should come to the ER for flu symptoms if they don't know they have the flu, says Jennifer Dekoschak, RN from Parkland Medical Center. Watch this video to learn more.
    When to go to the ER for Flu
    In this video, Manisha Gupta, MD explains why the elderly or infants should seek emergency care for the flu. 
  • Unless you have serious symptoms not usually associated with the flu such as severe abdominal pain or persistent vomiting, it’s best to stay out of the emergency room. There are a lot of other very vulnerable people in the emergency department. If you go and infect them with influenza, they’re going to do a whole lot worse. If there are a lot of people in the emergency department who have flu symptoms and pass them around to one another, an outbreak could develop very quickly in the community.
  • You don't need to go to the emergency room, or ER, for flu symptoms (muscle aches, headache, fever, and chills) unless you are pregnant, elderly, very young (infants and toddlers), or have a condition that weakens your immune system. Regardless of age or health conditions, these individuals are at a higher risk of complications from the influenza virus, and there are medications that can reduce the serious problems of influenza.
    There are only a few situations you should visit the ER when you have the flu, says Michael Dodd, MD, from Frankfort Regional Medical Center. Watch him discuss what those are in this informational video.
    Flu symptoms like headaches, neck pain, stiffness, and shortness of breath merit medical attention, says Scott Scherr, MD, from Sunrise Hospital. Learn the other symptom that should send you to a doctor by watching this short video.
  • A Emergency Room Nursing, answered on behalf of
    Your symptoms and age are just some of the factors affecting whether you should visit the ER. Watch Angela, RN, of Englewood Community Hospital, explain how the flu affects everyone differently.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What type of care can I expect in an emergency room (ER)?