EMS stands for Emergency Medical Services. Emergency Medical Services (EMS) provide out of hospital care for those with an illness or an injury. EMS operates with a number of different types of healthcare providers including emergency medical technicians, paramedics, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, and occasionally physicians. EMS primarily operates using ambulances but can operate using helicopters or other types of transport vehicles.
- Q What is the role of 911 operators in emergency services?
- Q What are the ICU and CCU?
- Q Will a doctor provide support for family members of those in ICU?
- Q How do doctors determine when a patient should enter emergency services?
- Q When should I go to urgent care versus the emergency department?
- Q What's my role in activating the emergency medical services (EMS) system?