How is neonatal ventilation performed in the NICU?

The primary types of ventilation performed in the NICU are:
  • CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) is used to keep the infant’s lungs open, to make expansion easier and to prevent collapse. CPAP decreases the work of breathing for the infant while increasing functional residual capacity, thereby improving both oxygenation and ventilation
  • Conventional mechanical ventilation is used to deliver breaths. Mechanical ventilation can be either IMV (intermittent mandatory ventilation) where the rate of breathing in determined by the machine; SIMV (synchronized IMV) where the ventilator times breaths to coincide with the baby’s inspiratory effort; or assist control where the infant determine the rate but the machine determine the size of the breath.
  • High Frequency Ventilation is reserved for infants not responding to conventional mechanical ventilation. High Frequency Ventilation allows for effective ventilation with smaller tidal volumes but has some negative effects on cardiac function.
The choice about the type of ventilation used is a complex decision based on the infant’s medical diagnosis, condition, blood gas values and other factors unique to each individual clinical situation.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Why can't anyone tell me how long I have to wait when I go to the ER?
Dr. Kathleen Handal, MDDr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Lack of predictability is the only thing you can count on in the emergency room (ER). You’re probabl...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Affects Readmission Rates to Hospitals?