How can I keep track of what's happening to me in the emergency room (ER)?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine Specialist
Start taking notes upon arrival to the ER. This is for your own reference. A trip to the ER is stressful, and it’s easy to miss important information so keep a log of events. Note the names of the people caring for you, what tests were run, the diagnosis, medications and treatment. Time can go slowly and you might think it has been an hour since your blood test, yet when you look at your notes you might see it was done only 25 minutes ago! Remember, you have a right to understand what is being done to you and why.
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
How will my premature baby's skin be cared for in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Premature babies have fragile skin that is very thin and absorbent. Until the skin matures, it doesn...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Are the Limitations of Computers in Medicine?