How can I accurately gauge my pain level to get proper care in the ER?

To accurately guage your pain level to get proper care in the emergency room (ER), rate the pain on a scale of zero to 10 with 10 being the most severe pain imaginable and zero is no pain present. Pain that is a 10 is most usually compared to having a baby naturally or passing a kidney stone. Also, describe the pain character. For instance, is it dull, sharp, burning, aching or another description. Pain is a very subjective symptom and may vary from patient to patient, but these are common ways to describe pain in the emergency room or in any other setting.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Why do I need a living will when I'm admitted to the critical care unit?
Debra DibartoloDebra Dibartolo
The doctor or nurse practitioner asks if you have a living will for several reasons; To be sure y...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Makes for Good Critical Care?
What Makes for Good Critical Care?