How can I accurately gauge my pain level to get proper care in the ER?

To accurately guage your pain level to get proper care in the emergency room (ER), rate the pain on a scale of zero to 10 with 10 being the most severe pain imaginable and zero is no pain present. Pain that is a 10 is most usually compared to having a baby naturally or passing a kidney stone. Also, describe the pain character. For instance, is it dull, sharp, burning, aching or another description. Pain is a very subjective symptom and may vary from patient to patient, but these are common ways to describe pain in the emergency room or in any other setting.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

What procedures might require my baby to be sedated?
Methodist Stone Oak HospitalMethodist Stone Oak Hospital
The most common procedure that requires sedation is intubation, though there are other scenarios whe...
How do paramedics evaluate a trauma patient?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Evaluating a trauma patient can be very complex. Paramedics are trained to assess a trauma patient f...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Makes for Good Critical Care?
What Makes for Good Critical Care?