How will I learn how to care for my baby at home while in the NICU?

During your baby’s stay in the NICU, the staff will work with you to teach you how to care for your baby at home. Shortly before you go home, you may have the opportunity to share a room with your baby (“room-in”) for a determined amount of time. This rooming-in period is like a dress rehearsal for going home. It gives you a chance to practice all you've learned, with a nurse close by for help and advice. During the rooming-in period, the nursing staff is available to take your baby's vital signs, to answer questions, and to assume care of your baby in case of an emergency situation.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately,...
When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for a head injury?
As a rule of thumb, you should go to the emergency room (ER) for a head injury if you feel you are s...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Makes for Good Critical Care?
What Makes for Good Critical Care?