How will I learn how to care for my baby at home while in the NICU?

During your baby’s stay in the NICU, the staff will work with you to teach you how to care for your baby at home. Shortly before you go home, you may have the opportunity to share a room with your baby (“room-in”) for a determined amount of time. This rooming-in period is like a dress rehearsal for going home. It gives you a chance to practice all you've learned, with a nurse close by for help and advice. During the rooming-in period, the nursing staff is available to take your baby's vital signs, to answer questions, and to assume care of your baby in case of an emergency situation.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
What are risks of a PICC line in babies in the NICU?
Methodist Stone Oak HospitalMethodist Stone Oak Hospital
PICC lines have a higher risk of infection because it is located close to the heart.
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has the Medical Community Reduced Errors in Patient Care?