What kind of childhood neurologic conditions are seen in the ICU?

This can run the gamut from traumatic brain injury (cerebral hemorrhages, contusions, skull fractures), status epilepticus (prolonged seizure), stroke and decompensation from a large hemispheric or brainstem tumor. Coma due to metabolic disorders, accidental ingestion of household chemicals or medications, drowning, low oxygen, endocrine disorders can also be seen.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Can my family stay with me in critical care?
Deb CordesDeb Cordes
Many hospitals have "open visitation" which means that you can visit at any time of the day and nigh...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
Is Medicine More Art or Science?
Is Medicine More Art or Science?