How can I help prevent bunions?

You can prevent bunions by wearing shoes and socks that fit you well. Moisturizing helps to keep your skin healthy and can reduce pain where bunions are developing. With that said, bunions are sometimes genetic, which makes them more difficult to prevent.
It’s true, a family history of bunions or arthritis can raise your risk for this condition. But there are a few things you can do to lower your risk. First, wear wide-toed shoes that fit your feet. Shoes that are too narrow, pointy or tight can push your big toe inward, causing a bunion to form. It's also best to avoid high heels. Other steps you can take to prevent this painful bump include doing exercises to keep your feet and ankles flexible and strong. Wearing a small pad between your big toe and second toe (to keep your big toe from turning in) may help, too. 

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

The Bunion Blues
The Bunion Blues
Paul Bunyan and his sidekick Babe, the Blue Ox, were characters in lumberjack folklore for years before William Laughead composed a direct mail pamphl...
What's a natural treatment for calluses?
Licorice contains estrogen-like substances that soften the hard skin of calluses and corns. Make...
How are corns and calluses formed?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Excessive pressure and friction on one area of the foot cause skin cells to multiply and then di...
What Should I Think About If I Have Bunion Surgery?