Why should we not overcook vegetables?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

It is very important not to overcook vegetables. Overcooking will not only result in the loss of important nutrients, it will also drain the flavor. Light steaming, baking, and quick stir frying are the best ways to cook vegetables. Do not boil vegetables unless you are making soup, as much of the nutrients will leach into the water.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Spice Up Your Dishes to Cut Back on Salt
If you want to cut back on the salt shaker, spice things up with your dishes. According to the results of a study on decreasing salt intake, eating ca...
How do I make nuts and seeds more nutritious?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
Nuts and seeds, much like beans, contain anti-nutrients. In some cases, for example with flaxsee...
How can I prepare vegetables as a main dish?
Kate GeaganKate Geagan
When shopping at the grocery store, many of us think of produce as a “side dish” to the meat, fi...
How Should I Pair Foods with Herbs and Spices?