Why should we not overcook vegetables?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

It is very important not to overcook vegetables. Overcooking will not only result in the loss of important nutrients, it will also drain the flavor. Light steaming, baking, and quick stir frying are the best ways to cook vegetables. Do not boil vegetables unless you are making soup, as much of the nutrients will leach into the water.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

4 Healthy Barbecue Tips for Your Summer Cookouts
Before you fire up the grill this Memorial Day, did you know that cooking foods containing muscle—yep, not just red meat but poultry and fish, too—ove...
How should I pair foods with herbs and spices?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The following is a list of flavor combinations: Beef: Bay leaf, green pepper, chive, pepper, oni...
How do I make a healthy homemade pizza?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
One of my favorite homemade pizza recipes uses the following ingredients 1 whole grain Naan Bread, 1...
What are Healthy Ways to Season and Dress a Salad?