What cooking methods retain antioxidants in foods?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
 As a general rule, antioxidants are lost when the food is exposed to heated water for prolonged periods of time. Steaming is the best cooking method for vegetables because it minimizes the loss of nutrients.

Conversely, steaming sometimes increases the antioxidant power of a food. For example, steamed red cabbage has more than twice the amount of antioxidant power of raw red cabbage. Although steaming is usually the best cooking option, remember that boiled vegetables are better than no vegetables.

Another way to minimize potential antioxidant loss during cooking is to cut the food into large rather than small pieces. This minimizes the surface area of the food that is exposed to the cooking process, and may save more antioxidants.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Slow Down Aging by Cooking with This Juice
Whatever you put in your pan for dinner tonight, make sure you add a few squeezes of this: lemon juice. A new study shows that marinating meats in le...
How can I make healthy meals?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Takeout and prepackaged foods may be quick and easy, but they are also expensive and unhealthy. So g...
How can I prepare grilled food without increasing my cancer risk?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To prepare grilled food without increasing your cancer risk, avoid cooking meats at very high temper...
How Should I Pair Foods with Herbs and Spices?