How should I eat garbanzo beans?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans are a wonderful source of plant protein. Here are some of my favorite ways of incorporating chickpeas in my diet --
  • Salad-add chickpeas to any green salad to add protein and fiber
  • Make it a Chickpea salad -- cooked chickpeas, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, minced garlic, minced ginger, finely chopped cilantro. Season with salt, cumin powder and chili/paprika according to your taste/preferences.
  • Hummus-a dip made with pureed chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, paprika and cumin. Enjoy hummus with bellpepper strips, cucumber/carrot sticks, pita chips
  • Roasted Garbanzo beans
Doreen Rodo
Garbanzo beans are a great addition to a salad and it's easy just to throw some on. Rinse them first, though, to get rid of the extra salt. You can also add them to salsa and have them with baked chips or rinse and puree them with a little olive oil, basil, water and pepper. They also can be added to soups and sauces -- if it is a smooth soup such as tomato, puree them first and no one will even know that they are there. Garbanzo beans are an excellent source of protein and iron. They are a good source of fiber and folic acid also. For healthy eating, add them to your meal plan daily.
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD
Garbanzo beans or chickpeas are a legume high in fiber, low in fat and a protein source. Dried garbanzo beans purchased in bulk are cheap, with no added salt or concern of bisphenol A (BPA) found in canned food. Rinse the beans to clean them of any dirt or stones, then soak them for about 4 hours to overnight. Rinse again in clean water and then put them in a stovetop pan with water and bring to boil, simmer for about one to two hours until tender. Make hummus by pureeing in a food processor 2 cups of cooked beans, 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste) and 1/4 cup lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid, add salt or herbs, pepper, hot sauce or a few garlic cloves. Enjoy garbanzo beans added to soups and salads.
Marisa Moore

How do I eat garbanzo beans? Let me count the ways...

1. Enjoy garbanzo beans cold or hot.
  2. Add garbanzo beans to spinach salad for a delicious protein addition.
  3. Toss garbanzo beans, broccoli, garlic, olive oil and lemon into whole wheat pasta for a light and delicious dinner.
  4. Mash garbanzo beans with your favorite herbs and spices to make a bean patty or burger.
  5. Add garbanzo beans to a Mediterranean inspired pasta salad with feta, tomatoes and red onion.

These are just a few ways to enjoy them. The truth is garbanzo beans are quite versatile, so there are countless ways to enjoy. 

Ximena Jimenez
One of the reasons garbanzo beans are one of my favorite foods is its versatility. You can easily add them to a green salad. As a latino dietitian, I make a sofrito by using olive oil, crushed tomatoes, cubed onions, green peppers and minced onion; and then I add the previously cooked garbanzos or chickpeas. I recently added garbanzo beans to a farfalle or bow ties pasta with marinara sauce. Garbanzo beans can be eaten cold or hot and will improve the flavor of your recipes.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

What to Do with That Pumpkin You Never Carved
There it is, still sitting on the counter, cute as an oversized button: the jack-o'-lantern that wasn't. Here's how to make it the pumpkin dessert tha...
How can I avoid putting too much oil in salads?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
When you are eating out at a restaurant, ask for the salad dressing to be served on the side. This i...
What are healthy ways to eat fish?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The method of preparation is one of the keys to keeping this lean protein food (fish) healthy. Steam...
Kitchen Tools
Kitchen Tools