How do I make healthy fruit pies?

Toby Smithson

A quick and easy healthy fruit pie recipe is to use a pie shell and layer sliced apples in the shell; sprinkle with cinnamon and a sugar substitute that is safe for baking; and bake the pie according to directions on the shell package. Another healthy pie shell option is to use a graham cracker crust in place of a flour based pie shell. Carbohydrate, fat and calories are reduced when you use just a bottom shell and use fresh sliced fruit instead of canned fruit in heavy syrup. Sugar substitute and spices like cinnamon are zero calories.

From rhubarb to raspberries and blueberries to strawberries, the fresh fruit bounty of summer can make a fresh pie hard to resist. The challenge, however, is to keep the nutritional value from the fruit without adding unnecessary fat and sugar. The good news is it's not difficult to do:
  • A good pie starts with a good crust. While many pie crust recipes call for butter, lard or shortening, you can make something just as tasty by substituting canola oil. Add skim milk or apple juice for extra moistness.
  • Many fruit pie recipes call for added sugar, but since you're using summer's sweetest fruits, there really is no need. Instead, mix your fruit with 1/2 cup of flour and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. The flour will thicken the juices and the lemon will add a subtle hint of freshness.
For an even lighter option, consider crisps or cobblers instead of the full-crust pie. Rather than covering the entire dish in the crust, fill the pie pan with fruit filling, then add dollops of dough across the top.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

3 Ways to Have a Guilt-Free Barbecue
3 Ways to Have a Guilt-Free Barbecue
Go ahead. Fire up the grill and feast to your heart's content on your favorite barbecue fare. Just use these prep-and-cook methods to healthy up thing...
How should I eat vegetables?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
I recommend eating vegetables raw or lightly steamed. Many times cooking a vegetable causes it to lo...
What are the types of meat thermometers?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
There are five types of meat thermometers: Regular, ovenproof: Inserted in food at the beginning...
Add Rosemary for a Better Barbecue
Add Rosemary for a Better Barbecue