What are the physical signs of hunger?

Physical hunger builds gradually over time (usually over several hours after a meal), whereas emotional eating and cravings usually come on very suddenly. When you are genuinely hungry, you may experience one or several of the symptoms listed below:
  • Stomach pangs or growling
  • Emptiness in the stomach
  • Irritability
  • Headache
  • Low energy/fatigue
  • Difficulty concentrating
Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
You probably think that you know what hunger feels like, but nutritional researcher and author Joel Fuhrman, MD, says that most Americans have never felt true hunger. In this video, he describes the signs.

Continue Learning about Controlling Appetite

Control Your Appetite with Repetition
Control Your Appetite with Repetition
Want a simple, no-frills trick for cutting back on calories? Repeat yourself. That is, repeat your meals and practice habitual eating. Research shows...
How can I avoid overeating?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
When you eat a meal, think slow and steady. A rushed meal is out of sync with the creeping pace of t...
How can I avoid eating too much?
Because your stomach is roughly the size of your fist, eating meals larger than your fist can st...
What Is the Difference Between Hunger and Cravings?