How soon after a missed period is a pregnancy test accurate?

Pregnancy can be detected even before a missed period, depending on the pregnancy test.

Many home pregnancy tests (HPTs) claim to be 99 percent accurate on the first day of your missed period. But research suggests that most HPTs do not always spot pregnancy that early. And when they do, the results are often so faint they are misunderstood. If you can wait one week after your missed period, most HPTs will give you an accurate answer. Ask your doctor for a more sensitive test if you need to know earlier.

This information is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Conception Achieved (Pregnancy)

How much weight should I gain during pregnancy?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
Weight gain in pregnancy depends upon the mother’s prepregnancy weight. The table below (from the Am...
How many weeks does it take to know if I am pregnant?
Dr. Margaret L. McKenzie, MDDr. Margaret L. McKenzie, MD
It takes a number of weeks for you to know if you are pregnant. Watch this video to learn how long i...
What happens after fertilization?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Fertilization results in the creation of a zygote. The zygote begins the process of cleavage or cell...
Can Using Birth Control at Conception Cause a Problem with the Baby's Development?