What do I need to know about caring for someone with subungual warts?

When caring for someone with subungual warts it is important to watch for ways in which they may spread the warts and signs of discomfort. Nibbling or irritating the nail and failing to wash their hands are all ways to spread the human papillomavirus (HPV), the virus that causes subungual warts, to other parts of their body. If the wart begins to bring about discomfort, lifts the nail from the nail bed, or causes the cuticle to fall away from the nail, make an appointment with their doctor to have the nail and wart examined.

Continue Learning about Warts

Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
In the children’s book The Witch with a Wart, an old hag discovers she has a wart on her nose (of course!). Eager to have it disappear, she brews up a...
Should I talk to my doctor about my warts?
Most warts do not require medical attention. However, people may choose to have them removed for...
How can my child's wart that disappeared come back again?
Your child's wart can return -- and sometimes bring many little warts with it. Caused by the human...
What is liquid nitrogen and how does it remove warts?
Liquid nitrogen is a very low-temperature liquid. To give you an idea of just how cold this liquid i...