What does a coma mean with a TBI?

While an alert person has a normal state of arousal, someone in a coma from traumatic brain injury is unresponsive and cannot be aroused. The brain injury may be the result of bleeding, increased pressure from swelling, or a build-up of toxins in the brain. When the brain swells as a result of TBI, the fluid pushes up against the skull. The swelling may then cause the brain to push down on the brain stem, which can damage the reticular activating system (RAS), the “on/off” switch to the brain, unless the pressure is relieved. While the person is alive with coma, it appears as if he or she is in a deep sleep. Doctors assess the depth of a coma using the Glasgow Coma Scale. This scale assigns a numerical score to the depth of the coma based on eye opening, speech, and movement.

Continue Learning about Coma

Should I talk to my doctor about a coma?
A coma is a medical emergency. If you suspect that someone is falling into a coma, seek immediate me...
Is there such a thing as an open-eyed coma?
A usual symptom of coma is that the eyes remain closed. In a prolonged coma state, if the coma lasts...
How do I manage a coma on a daily basis?
A person who is in a comatose state needs to be monitored by medical professionals. Managing a coma ...
What is the difference between stupor and coma?
A coma is when a person is completely unresponsive and cannot be aroused for a significant length of...