Is a coma serious?

A coma is a life-threatening emergency requiring immediate medical attention. Because a coma may be caused my various illnesses or injuries, and may be the result of severe brain damage, ensuring that the heart, lungs, and brain continue to function is vital. Once the cause of the coma is diagnosed and the person is stabilized, the condition remains serious because of all of the complications that might arise. A person in a coma should be monitored by medical professionals to maintain other bodily and systemic functions. A common cause of death for someone in a coma is pneumonia.

Continue Learning about Coma

Can a coma be prevented?
A coma can be triggered by illness or injury. Preventing a coma resulting from illness could involve...
What is the difference between stupor and coma?
A coma is when a person is completely unresponsive and cannot be aroused for a significant length of...
What questions will the doctor ask if I accompany someone in a coma?
If you accompany someone in a coma to the hospital, try to prepare as much information as possible. ...
Does a coma affect children differently than adults?
A coma occurs when an illness or injury causes severe damage to some part of the brain. Children may...