What are the side effects of bowel preparation before a colonoscopy?

The type and severity of side effects of bowel prep before colonoscopy differ among patients. They also vary with the product used. Some patients have nausea, vomiting, bloating (swelling in the abdomen) or abdominal pain. Bowel prep can cause kidney failure, heart failure or seizures, but this is rare. Your doctor will explain the possible side effects of the prep selected for you.

Continue Learning about Colonoscopy

How often should I have a colonoscopy?
Dr. Monica S. Borkar, MDDr. Monica S. Borkar, MD
If polyps are found and removed during the colonoscopy, your physician may have you follow up in 3 t...
What foods should I avoid before a colonoscopy?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Before a colonoscopy, your doctor will prescribe the type of bowel prep that is best for you. You wi...
What Age Should a Person Start Getting a Colonoscopy?
Why Do I Need a Colonoscopy Only Every 10 Years?