What are the side effects of bowel preparation before a colonoscopy?

The type and severity of side effects of bowel prep before colonoscopy differ among patients. They also vary with the product used. Some patients have nausea, vomiting, bloating (swelling in the abdomen) or abdominal pain. Bowel prep can cause kidney failure, heart failure or seizures, but this is rare. Your doctor will explain the possible side effects of the prep selected for you.

Continue Learning about Colonoscopy

What is a colonoscopy like?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
The psychological barriers for getting a colonoscopy are often bigger than the physical ones, says D...
How should I prepare for a colonoscopy using HalfLytely?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
To prepare for a colonoscopy using HalfLytely, please follow these instructions: Five Days Befo...
Why Do I Need a Colonoscopy Every 10 Years?
Why Are Some People Reluctant to Get a Colonoscopy?