How is major depression different from bipolar disorder?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

People that have major depression feel sad, lack energy, lose interest in doing things they enjoy, and feel physical pain. People with bipolar disorder also go through periods with the same symptoms. However, the difference is that sometimes they go into a period of mania characterized by high risk behavior, agitation, high energy levels, and increased impulsivity. Some people who are diagnosed with clinical depression may actually suffer from bipolar disorder because doctors can only make a diagnosis using the current symptoms.

Continue Learning about Clinical/Major Depression

What Are the Biggest Challenges in Treating Depression?
Will I Need to Take an Antidepressant for the Rest of My Life?
Can Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Be Used to Treat Other Mental Health Conditions in Addition to Depression?
How Is Bipolar Disorder Treated?
How Is Bipolar Disorder Treated?