Should I talk to my doctor about chromosomal disorders?

Talk to your doctor about chromosomal disorders if you know that there are chromosomal abnormalities in your family's medical history and you are trying to become pregnant. Another reason to talk to your doctor is if you are planning to have a baby and have suffered multiple miscarriages or are over the age of 35. By the time a woman is 36, her chances of giving birth to a child with a chromosomal genetic disorder increase to around one in 150 and keep climbing after that. Also, if you have already had a child with birth defects, there is a larger risk that your future children will have chromosomal disorders.

Continue Learning about Chromosomal Disorders

When was Down syndrome discovered?
National Down Syndrome SocietyNational Down Syndrome Society
For centuries, people with Down syndrome have been alluded to in art, literature and science. It was...
What kind of education programs are best for students with Down syndrome?
Students with Down syndrome are included in typical academic classrooms in schools across the countr...
Should I be worried about chromosomal disorders?
Increased risk factors for chromosomal disorders include: becoming pregnant at 35 years of age or ...
What are chromosomal disorders?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Chromosomal disorders are the result of an error in the number or structure of the chromosomes. Some...