Should I talk to my doctor about chromosomal disorders?

Talk to your doctor about chromosomal disorders if you know that there are chromosomal abnormalities in your family's medical history and you are trying to become pregnant. Another reason to talk to your doctor is if you are planning to have a baby and have suffered multiple miscarriages or are over the age of 35. By the time a woman is 36, her chances of giving birth to a child with a chromosomal genetic disorder increase to around one in 150 and keep climbing after that. Also, if you have already had a child with birth defects, there is a larger risk that your future children will have chromosomal disorders.

Continue Learning about Chromosomal Disorders

Are chromosomal genetic disorders life-threatening?
Some chromosomal disorders are life-threatening. Certain chromosomal changes can cause miscarriages ...
How do I care for someone with chromosomal disorders?
Because different chromosomal disorders affect people differently, caring for someone with one of ...
Should I be worried about chromosomal disorders?
Increased risk factors for chromosomal disorders include: becoming pregnant at 35 years of age or ...
What are some types of chromosomal disorders?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Chromosomal disorders are a result of an alteration in genetic material. These alterations can be gr...