On sunscreen labels, what does water resistant mean?

No sunscreen is truly waterproof, and FDA rules announced in 2011 ban manufacturers from making that claim. Manufacturers may use the term "water resistant" if the sunscreen has been proven to remain effective in water for a certain time period, usually 40 or 80 minutes, based on standardized testing. According to the FDA rules, sunscreen labels must indicate how long you can wear the product while swimming or sweating before you need to reapply.

Sunscreens that are not water resistant must recommend on the label that you use a water resistant sunscreen when swimming or sweating.

Continue Learning about Choosing The Right Sunscreen

How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for You
It’s that sunscreen time of year, and you know it’s important to lotion up to protect your skin. But with so many options to choose from, it’s easy to...
Does high-SPF sunscreen protect my skin from all types of sun damage?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
The chemicals that form a product’s sun protection factor (SPF) are aimed at blocking ultra violet B...
What sunscreen should I use?
A sunscreen with SPF 30 or greater should be used all year for all skin types. Sunscreens should be ...
Waterproof
Waterproof