What are the different types of sunscreen?

Different sunscreens use different chemicals for blocking out rays. Some use paraminobenzoic acid (PABA) and others use benzophenones or Parasol 1789. Each composition is better than the others at blocking out a particular type of UV ray. Studies on albino rats show that mixing all three provides the best overall protection. Consider using two or three different sunscreens at once, a PABA-based one, a benzophenone-based one, and a Parasol 1789-based one. (There must be a sunscreen that has all three, I just have not found it yet.) If you are going to be out a long time, you should also use zinc oxide on areas particularly vulnerable to skin cancers, like the lips and nose. If you are planning on exercising or being in the water, make sure to apply water-resistant products or, better yet, waterproof products.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Choosing The Right Sunscreen

How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for You in Hawaii
Sunscreen is a good idea all year round in Hawaii, and you know it’s important to lotion up to protect your skin. But with the passage of SB2571, Hawa...
What sunscreens are recommended for children?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Sunscreens are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA permits 17 acti...
What does SPF in sunscreen mean?
SPF 15 means that you’ll get the same damage in fifteen hours of sun exposure with the lotion as you...
What Should I Know About Using Sunscreen If I Have Psoriasis?