What does the broad-spectrum sun block label mean?

Broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun block also protects against UVA rays, or those that age us. Make sure that the label uses the both the terms “UVA/UVB” protection and “broad spectrum” on the label if you want to most effectively protect skin.

Other than UVA/UVB protection what else should a sun block offer?

Scrutinize the label further to make sure that all wavelengths of UVA rays are covered by the ingredients listed. That means you need to see benzene, avobenzene, octocrylene or 5% to 10% zinc oxide in the actual ingredients listing.

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Sunscreen labels can be confusing. In this video, dermatologist Dr. Ellen Marmur defines tricky terms like "broad-spectrum" and "sunblock."

Continue Learning about Choosing The Right Sunscreen

How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for You in Hawaii
Sunscreen is a good idea all year round in Hawaii, and you know it’s important to lotion up to protect your skin. But with the passage of SB2571, Hawa...
Which supplements could help repair sun damage?
Certain vitamins, namely vitamins A, C and E, can help your body fight back against sun damage when ...
What type of sunscreen should I use if I have oily skin?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
No skin care routine is complete without sunscreen. I have my personal bias as I have been plagued t...
Broad Spectrum
Broad Spectrum