Is tanning oil bad for me?

Tanning oils are simply a bad idea. They promote risky behavior, encouraging users seek out intense sunshine that results in skin damage and increased risk of developing skin cancer.

Although some tanning oils contain sunscreen ingredients, the levels are always very low and offer little, if any, protection from the sun’s rays. Tanning oils are also associated with an increased danger of sunburn. Avoid products with sun protection factor (SPF) values lower than 15 or that don’t contain either zinc oxide or avobenzone for UVA protection.
Tanning oils are innocuous in and of themselves and are not bad for you unless you are allergic to their ingredients. However, tanning oils may provide inadequate protection from ultraviolet radiation.

Continue Learning about Choosing The Right Sunscreen

How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for You
It’s that sunscreen time of year, and you know it’s important to lotion up to protect your skin. But with so many options to choose from, it’s easy to...
What are the FDA rules on sunscreen claims?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
The FDA rules for sunscreen have recently changed. In this video, dermatologist Dr. Ellen Marmur exp...
Do they make sunscreen for sensitive skin?
Fragrances, alcohols and dyes in sunscreens can irritate sensitive skin. Chemical sun blockers may a...
How Does SPF Work On My Skin?
How Does SPF Work On My Skin?