Is tanning oil bad for me?

Tanning oils are innocuous in and of themselves and are not bad for you unless you are allergic to their ingredients. However, tanning oils may provide inadequate protection from ultraviolet radiation.
Tanning oils are simply a bad idea. They promote risky behavior, encouraging users seek out intense sunshine that results in skin damage and increased risk of developing skin cancer.

Although some tanning oils contain sunscreen ingredients, the levels are always very low and offer little, if any, protection from the sun’s rays. Tanning oils are also associated with an increased danger of sunburn. Avoid products with sun protection factor (SPF) values lower than 15 or that don’t contain either zinc oxide or avobenzone for UVA protection.

Continue Learning about Choosing The Right Sunscreen

How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for You
It’s that sunscreen time of year, and you know it’s important to lotion up to protect your skin. But with so many options to choose from, it’s easy to...
What sunscreens are recommended for children?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Sunscreens are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA permits 17 acti...
How do I choose a sunscreen?
Ronald Cotliar, MDRonald Cotliar, MD
Choosing a good sunscreen is important for protecting the skin. The American Academy of Dermatology ...
When Sunscreen Makes Sense for Babies?
When Sunscreen Makes Sense for Babies?