Can sunscreens legally claim to be waterproof?

According to guidelines introduced in 2011 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), sunscreens cannot claim to be waterproof as of June 2012. Instead, sunscreens must indicate the number of minutes the product resists water as measured by standardized lab tests.

Continue Learning about Choosing The Right Sunscreen

How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for You in Hawaii
Sunscreen is a good idea all year round in Hawaii, and you know it’s important to lotion up to protect your skin. But with the passage of SB2571, Hawa...
What sunscreen ingredients should I avoid?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Some sunscreens contain an ingredient that contains estrogen, and they should be avoided. In thi...
Can high-SPF sunscreens pose a health risk?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
High-sun protection factor (SPF) sunscreens require higher concentrations of sun-filtering chemicals...
How Does SPF Work On My Skin?
How Does SPF Work On My Skin?