Who are maternal-fetal medicine physicians?

Megan Borgna
Neonatal Nursing

Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians are specialists in the OB-GYN field. They receive 3 additional years of schooling in high-risk obstetrics, in addition to the 4 years received in residency. They are experts in managing/treating women with pre-eclampsia, diabetes in pregnancy, and pregnancies with more than one baby. 

Maternal-fetal medicine physicians (MFMs) are subspecialists in the ob-gyn field. After completing medical school and the standard four-year ob-gyn residency training, MFMs get an additional three years of training in complicated obstetrics. They are experts regarding how certain medical conditions affect pregnancy and birth and often assume care of women with serious conditions such as diabetes or heart disease.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY AND THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD -- FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH" Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary...

Continue Learning about Choosing A Practitioner & Pregnancy

How do doctors know which medicine is safe for me during pregnancy?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
We do not have enough information about the effects of many medications when they are taken by pregn...
When should I call my doctor during pregnancy?
Wayne R. Young, MDWayne R. Young, MD
If you're in your first trimester, you should contact your physician on a number of occasions be...
What are obstetrician-gynecologists?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Obstetrician-gynecologists (OBGYNs) are physicians who have completed a four- year surgical residenc...
What is the midwifery model of maternity care?
The classic midwifery model is based on the assumption that most pregnancies, labors, and births are...