When do babies start teething?

Primary teeth typically begin to appear when a baby is between age six months and one year. A child's primary teeth, sometimes called "baby teeth," are as important as the permanent adult teeth. Primary teeth help children chew and speak. They also hold space in the jaws for permanent teeth that are growing under the gums. The ADA recommends that a dentist examine a child within six months after the first tooth comes in and no later than the first birthday.

Babies can get teeth at different times. Most babies start to get teeth between 4 and 7 months. Some babies start to get teeth a little bit later. It's usually the 2 front teeth that come in first. They either can be on the top or the bottom.
From six months to twenty-four months, kids start teething in a major way, which makes them (and you) irritable. They’ll bite on things, drool, and pull at their teeth. The simple, timetested measures still work best: Offer a chilled teething ring or cold, wet washcloth. If you must use a pain reliever, I recommend Children’s Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (ibuprofen).

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
Take the RealAge Test!
The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Do missing teeth (edentulism) affect children differently than adults?
Alice G. Boghosian, DDSAlice G. Boghosian, DDS
Generally, missing teeth can cause problems. Specifically, baby teeth hold the space for the adult ...
Does gingivitis affect children differently than adults?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gingivitis, the early stage of gum disease, treats children no differently from adults. If your chil...