What are the signs of tooth erosion in children?

Tooth erosion symptoms include sensitive teeth or tooth pain, teeth with rough or cracked edges and yellow teeth. You can help your child from getting tooth erosion -- a condition that occurs when acids eat away at a tooth’s surface -- by limiting the sugar in his diet. Almost all foods, including milk or vegetables, have some type of sugar, which can contribute to tooth decay. To help control the amount of sugar your child consumes, read food labels and choose foods and beverages that are low in added sugars. Also, select beverages, such as water, that hydrate and contribute to good nutrition.

If you think your child may have tooth erosion, look for yellowing, pitted teeth that may also have a glossy appearance. Notice if your child seems sensitive to hot and cold beverages and foods. As the condition worsens, your child's sensitivity will increase.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
How should I care for my child after tooth removal?
Megan  Chin, DDSMegan Chin, DDS
After losing a tooth, your child may have a small wound in the area. Be careful not to give your chi...
How can I get my child to brush his teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There are several ways you can entice your child to want to brush his or her teeth. One way is to br...