How can I talk to my child about losing his first tooth?

Megan  Chin, DDS
Pediatric Dentistry
Children will typically lose their first tooth between the ages of five and seven. Most children have heard about the tooth fairy and losing teeth from an older sibling or family member. However, you can help prepare your child for the first big event by beginning to talk to them about what it means to lose a tooth and what to expect. Describe the process in positive and age-appropriate terms, explaining that their tooth will become “wiggly” and soon will fall out because his adult tooth is pushing it out to replace the baby tooth.

There are many children’s books available on the subject with illustrations to help your child understand what is going on in his growing mouth. You can also prepare him by purchasing a tooth pillow for him to place his tooth in for the tooth fairy. Either way, creating excitement about this childhood milestone will help when the day actually arrives.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
How can I tell if my child is in pain after dental surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
No dental surgery is pain free, but it is important for your child to be comfortable so she can heal...
Does gingivitis affect children differently than adults?
Romesh NalliahRomesh Nalliah
Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums in response to dental plaque and it can affect children an...