Does Hunter's glossitis affect children differently than adults?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hunter's glossitis usually affects both children and adults similarly. If your child experiences any symptoms of Hunter's glossitis, you should make sure that they see a doctor right away. Chances are that if a child has Hunter's glossitis, they most likely acquired the condition because of pernicious anemia caused by malnutrition. Be sure to talk to your doctor about the root cause of your child's Hunter's glossitis so that you can determine the appropriate treatment.

Hunter's glossitis, which causes the tongue to swell, can affect both children and adults. It's usually caused by a condition called pernicious anemia. This anemia can develop from malnourishment or an autoimmune disorder that blocks vitamin B12. A lack of B12 causes the tongue to swell and become painful. Unlike common glossitis, Hunter's glossitis is not usually caused by infection, trauma, tobacco, or allergies.

If you suspect that your child may have Hunter's glossitis, contact. your pediatrician.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
What steps can I take to help maintain my child's healthy teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Children need strong, healthy teeth to chew their food, speak and have a good-looking smile. The ...
When can I expect my child's permanent (adult) teeth to begin showing?
Your child's permanent teeth, sometimes referred to as secondary teeth or adult teeth, usually arriv...