What type of cancer is most common in adolescents?

Dr. Richard Ricciardi
Advanced Practice Nursing Specialist
Leukemia and Lymphoma, followed by germ cell tumors (cancers that begin in cells that give rise to sperm or eggs, such as testicular cancer) are the most common types of cancers in adolescents. If you are an adolescent, be sure to wear sun screen when out in the sun to reduce the risk of getting melanoma (cancer of the skin).

Continue Learning about Children & Teens With Cancer

What would happen when my child is diagnosed with cancer?
If diagnosed with cancer, your child would be seen by a hematologist/oncologist, who is a doctor spe...
What are the most common types of childhood cancers?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The most common childhood cancers include the following: leukemia, cancer that arises in the bone...
How can I help my adolescent with cancer feel less isolated?
Nikki Yuill, LCSWNikki Yuill, LCSW
After your adolescent's initial diagnosis, it's not unusual for connections with peers to wear off, ...
How has childhood cancer incidence and survival changed?
Over the past 20 years, there has been some increase in the incidence of children diagnosed with all...