What is the effect of chemicals on my health?

Today environmental hazards are so widespread that none of us can avoid them entirely. Chemicals called polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), once widely used in adhesives, paints, lubricants, electric insulators, and printing inks, can cause skin discoloration, liver disorders, cancer, and developmental delays in children. DDT, a pesticide now banned in the United States, but still used widely in developing countries, can cause cancer and endanger wildlife. Lead, once used in plumbing, paint, and gasoline, damages the nervous system. These substances remain in the environment for decades. Even snow in Antarctica still carries residues of PCBs, DDT, and lead. Human breast milk contains high levels of some toxins, while human sperm samples are known to contain PCBs.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Why the FDA Is Banning This Cleaning Ingredient
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has banned the use of triclosan—an antibacterial ingredient found in household cleaning products—labeling it no...
How can exposure to dioxins affect my health?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Dioxins are multi-taskers -- but not in a good way! They form during many industrial processes when ...
What are phthalates?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
Phthalates are a class of man-made chemicals that make plastics more flexible, and also help things ...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?