What are some of the dangers of handling pool chemicals?

As Burt Lancaster in "The Swimmer" journeyed through the backyards of his suburban neighbors, dipping into their well-chlorinated swimming pools, he trusted that the disinfectant would protect him from whatever menacing bacteria might have found their way into the water. What he didn't know was that the pools' chemical immune system demands careful tending. Mishandling those pool chemicals can make us humans pretty sick!

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 5,000 cases of illness and injuries to skin, eyes, and lungs caused by improper handling of swimming pool chemicals are reported in the U.S. annually. Many, many more go unreported. These incidents happen from accidental spills, improper storage, and mixing the wrong chemicals or chemicals that are incompatible.

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Retarding Exposure to Fire Retardants, Plasticizers and Cell Phones
When Orlando Bloom, Melissa Etheridge and Guillermo del Toro had to evacuate their homes last year as fire tore through Malibu, Calabasas and Thousand...
What is the effect of chemicals on my health?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Today environmental hazards are so widespread that none of us can avoid them entirely. Chemicals cal...
What do women need to know about harmful chemicals in cosmetics?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Janet Pregler, M.D., director of the Iris Cantor-UCLA Women’s Health Center encourages women to reco...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?