What are phthalates?

Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
Phthalates are a class of man-made chemicals that make plastics more flexible, and also help things linger in the environment. In this video, I will explain how phthalates get into our food sources and why we should care. 
Phthalates are chemicals found in vinyl products such as shower curtains and fragrance products such as air fresheners. They may lower testosterone and metabolism levels, causing you to gain weight and lose muscle mass. They’re also found in vinyl flooring and industrial-grade plastic wrap used to shrink-wrap meat in the grocery store.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Phthalates are chemicals that make plastic flexible and make perfume smell good. In hairspray, they keep your hair in place without cracking.

But they're toxins and carcinogens. Some were banned in Europe because they cause hormonal problems. And they're in your body right now. Women who use hairspray with phthalates have more sons with genital mutations. They decrease testosterone and the decrease sperm counts.

Phthalates are small molecules that penetrate your skin. They get right into your body and spend at least a week there. Many people are allergic to them. California banned them. And some are banned in toys.

Certain plastic food wraps and PVC plastics with a number three recycling designation contain them. Throw these out and avoid phthalates.
Phthalates are man-made chemicals used in many different products. These chemicals are put in some toys and bottles to make plastics flexible. They are also used in cosmetics and other personal-care products like some lotions and shampoos.

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Why the FDA Is Banning This Cleaning Ingredient
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has banned the use of triclosan—an antibacterial ingredient found in household cleaning products—labeling it no...
How can I avoid phthalates in cosmetics?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
"Fragrance" can be a catchall word for a personal-care product that may contain phthalates or ot...
How can I avoid exposure to dioxins?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
It's pretty difficult to avoid exposure to dioxins since the ongoing industrial release of dioxin ha...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?