Besides heavy metals, what are other potential toxic chemicals?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Heavy metals are just one type of chemical toxin that can cause an obstacle to healing. There are many others. Toxins can damage the body in insidious and cumulative ways. Once the detoxification system becomes overloaded, toxic metabolites accumulate, and can wreak havoc on our normal metabolic processes.

Besides heavy metals the long list of potential toxic chemicals includes drugs, alcohol, solvents, formaldehyde, pesticides, herbicides, and food additives. These toxic chemicals can give rise to a number of symptoms and are associated with an increased risk of certain cancers. They are particularly harmful to the brain and nervous system and can produce such symptoms as depression, headaches, mental confusion, mental illness, tingling in the hands and feet, abnormal nerve reflexes, and other signs of impaired nervous system function.

Toxins produced by bacteria and yeast in the gut can also significantly disrupt body functions and have been implicated in a wide variety of diseases including liver diseases, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, thyroid disease, psoriasis, lupus, pancreatitis, allergies, asthma, and immune disorders.

What the Drug Companies Won't Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn't Know: The Alternative Treatments That May Change Your Life--and the Prescriptions That Could Harm You

From one of today's leading authorities on natural medicine comes a provocative look into how the pharmaceutical and medical industries have created our current health crisis and a practical guide to...

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Are New Chemicals in Plastics Safer?
Are New Chemicals in Plastics Safer?
In the 1973 film The Sting, Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) cheats at a high stakes poker game to set up Doyle Lonnegan (Robert Shaw.) After the game Lon...
What is the main finding of new research on benzene?
White blood cell counts were decreased in Chinese shoe manufacturing workers exposed to benzene at l...
How can I avoid exposure to phthalates?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
You can avoid exposure to phthalates in your food by avoiding high-fat dairy products, avoiding meat...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?