How are chemicals tested before being released into the environment?

Janet Pregler, M.D., director of the Iris Cantor-UCLA Women’s Health Center, notes that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration follows a rigorous process to ensure that drugs are safe before they are approved for public use, but no similar process is in place to ensure the safety of chemicals released into the environment. Chemical production in the United States has increased 20-fold since World War II, and the number of chemicals used commercially is up more than 30 percent in the last three decades. “It’s well recognized that air pollution can cause respiratory problems, but less appreciated is the fact that toxins in our environment get into our bodies and stay there for years,” Dr. Pregler says.

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Retarding Exposure to Fire Retardants, Plasticizers and Cell Phones
When Orlando Bloom, Melissa Etheridge and Guillermo del Toro had to evacuate their homes last year as fire tore through Malibu, Calabasas and Thousand...
What is benzene?
Benzene is a clear, colorless and flammable liquid with a sweet odor. At room temperature, liquid be...
How can exposure to benzene affect my health?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Exposure to benzene can result in headache, dizziness, a fast heart rate, tremors, drowsiness, a...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?