What lower body work should I do to be better in my throws as a flyer?

Increasing your power is crucial because your throw begins with power produced from your legs. The more power you can generate, the higher your throw and the more time in the air you will have. When training for power in the legs, you will first want to develop stability and strength. This will help you ultimately be more powerful. Begin with exercises to improve stability. An example of this type of exercise is a single leg squat, where you stand on one leg and slowly squat down to about the height of the chair and then stand back up. It will be important to keep your knee in line with your toes as you squat down. Perform 1-2 sets of 10-15 repetitions. After you have developed adequate levels of lower body stabilization, you need to then develop better levels of strength in the legs. This can be accomplished by using exercises that are more stable and use more external resistance (such as adding more weight). An example of this type of exercise is as simple as a barbell squat, where you place a weighted bar on the top of your shoulders and you squat down and up at a moderate tempo.  Use a weight where the last 3 repetitions are challenging. Perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 repetitions. Finally, once you have developed ample amounts of stability and strength, you can now progress to power exercises using quick, explosive exercises, such as tuck jumps. Stand in a good athletic position with the feet pointing straight and the knees in line with the toes. Keeping your abdominals tight, squat down and jump up as high as you can. When in the air, tuck your knees up towards your chest. Land softly and repeat as quickly as you can. Perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 repetitions.

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

Will a cardio program provide leg strength and conditioning for cheer?
Strong legs are important in all aspects of cheerleading. Squats, lunges, and calf raises are comm...
What should I look for in a good cheerleading shoe?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Cheer and dance participants put a significant amount of stress on their feet. Their shoes must ...
What else can I do besides stretching to make my legs straighter in jumps?
Many times your legs may bend during a jump because of tightness in the muscles in the back of t...
What type of flexibility is needed for a back handspring?
In order to do a back handspring, you will need adequate amounts of flexibility in your hips.In orde...