What are the reasons for an elective C-section?

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

This is a very debatable subject. I tell my patients that a C-section can decrease the likelihood of future problems with urinary incontinence as well as other pelvic organs prolapsing into the vagina. If a patient is planning to have more than two children than I recommend vaginal deliveries because the risk of scar tissue and other abdominal problems is significantly higher with three C-sections.

It is very important to have in-depth conversations with your doctor about the risks and benefits of elective C-section. You should ask your doctor about his/her complication rates as well as how adequate is your pelvis. A woman who is 5 feet or less has a 50% c-section rate due to a small or inadequate pelvis.

A woman may choose to have a C-section if there's a family history of damage to the pelvic floor that happens during vaginal birth, or because she's already had a traumatic vaginal delivery.

Some women who have suffered prior sexual abuse or trauma often don't want anything in the birth canal.(But anecdotally, some moms report that vaginal birth, along with therapy, can actually make the natural birthing process healing.)

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Cesarean Delivery (C-Section) & Pregnancy

How do the risks of caesarean and vaginal births differ?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
While most mothers and babies who have cesarean births do fine, cesarean sections involve more risks...
How does caesarean birth work?
If you are giving birth by cesarean section, whether planned or not, the process will start in an op...
Do I need a C-section if I have a breech birth?
Dr. Louise E. Sivak, MDDr. Louise E. Sivak, MD
Not in all cases. Some OB doctors, depending on the mother's pregnancy and previous delivery histori...
If I've Had a C-Section, Will I Need One for My Next Pregnancy?