Should I eliminate sugar from my diet to help prevent tooth decay?

Rita Medwid
Dentist
Eliminating sugar from your diet is not the answer, and keeps you from some of life's sweetest pleasures. Many foods from bread, to danish, to raisins all have by-products that beak down the enamel and cause the tooth to decay. Enjoy your foods, but just be diligent in keeping the teeth food free.
Foods that contain sugars of any kind can contribute to tooth decay. Almost all foods, including milk or vegetables, have some type of sugar. However, they shouldn't be removed from our diets because many of them contain important nutrients. And they add pleasure to eating. To help control the amount of sugar you consume, read food labels and choose foods and beverages that are low in added sugars. Added sugars often are present in soft drinks, candy, cookies and pastries.
Sugar is everywhere. You cannot get away from it! The key is to not allow it to stay on your teeth for extended periods of time. I know you have heard before that we should limit our between meal snacks. Well, they were right. It is that simple. If you sip all day you will get decay. 

Continue Learning about Cavities

Are cavities serious?
Peggy RosenPeggy Rosen
Having cavities or dental caries in your teeth are the beginning of serious problems. The main facto...
What is the most severe type of cavity decay?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most dentists would say that a condition called rampant caries is the most severe form of tooth deca...
How does GERD relate to cavities?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
The most typical symptoms of GERD are heartburn and regurgitation. Contents of the stomach, includin...
How does tooth decay affect my body?
Thomas Connelly, Online InfluencerThomas Connelly, Online Influencer
The first way is that tooth decay, if left alone, will eventually cause a cavity. This is almost alw...