What help is available for parents of an adult child with autism?

Unfortunately, I think many caregivers of adults with autism feel that their resources are more limited. Autism is not exclusively a childhood disease, and it is important that autistic adults continue to receive therapies and life-skills training to help them have a healthy and good quality adulthood. There are some good websites and support groups for families of adults with autism. I encourage parents to join a group or find some like-minded parents to help with referrals, connections, and support.
The Internet can lead you to local and national support groups, and some private institutions/facilities may be available to assist parents with an adult child with autism, even providing adult daycare services. More options are available for children, however, because of the increase in public awareness of autism over the past 10 years and as more programs become available. You may check with a Speech Language Pathologist in your community who may be aware of various local resources. Some states may have disability resources that can be accessed as well.

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone With ASD

How do I cope with my sadness as the parent of a child with autism?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
You are dealing with a difficult situation as the caretaker and parent of a child with autism. P...
How can I help my friend or relative whose child has autism?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
Your friend or relative who has a child with autism needs you know more than ever. Most importan...
Where Can Families Go to Get Financial Help for Autism Treatment?
Sharing Care: Autism Surfs—Gatlin’s Story