How can a child's autism affect his or her parents emotionally?

Chantal Sicile-Kira
Mental Retardation & Developmental Disabilities
Being the parent of a child with autism is extremely stressful. Much of that stress comes from dealing with the systems that are supposedly here to help. Studies show that mothers of teens and adults with autism experience chronic stress comparable to combat soldiers, and struggle with frequent fatigue and work interruptions. When the child does not match expectations or regresses, there is a loss and anguish felt by the parent not unlike the stages of grief that people in mourning experience.

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone With ASD

How can I cope with my nonverbal autistic child's extreme behavior?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
Strive to address the issues as separate from, or adjunct to, your child’s autism instead of bel...
How can I keep my child with autism safe from sexual abuse?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
The many adults with autism whom I have interviewed believed that junior and high school students wi...
Where Can Families Go to Get Financial Help for Autism Treatment?
Teaching Kids Empathy for Those with Autism and Special Needs