Why should I lower my carbohydrate intake?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Highly processed wheat, rice, and other refined grains and starches have the same effects in the body as table sugar. So minimize your intake of white bread, white rice, potatoes, most breakfast cereals, and most high-carbohydrate packaged and processed foods, such as pretzels and chips. Instead, choose whole grains, high-fiber breakfast cereals, brown rice, steel-cut oats, and nuts, fruits, and vegetables. When choosing carbs, a good rule of thumb is to be sure that each serving has no more than 10 grams of carbohydrate for every 1 gram of dietary fiber (maximum 10:1 carbohydrate-to-fiber ratio). Even better, if possible, aim for no more than 5 grams of carbohydrate for every gram of dietary fiber (maximum 5:1 carbohydrate-to-fiber ratio).

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Got a Sweet Tooth? How to End Your Sugar Cravings
Here in Sugar Nation, the average American downs 70 pounds of added sugars each year. Sugars are crammed into and hidden in foods you think are good f...
What are macronutrients?
ChuiceChuice
Macronutrients are energy-providing chemical substances we consume in large quantities. There are th...
What are unrefined carbohydrates?
Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RDElizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD
Unrefined carbohydrates, also known as "whole," are when the carbohydrate food is in its natural or ...
What Should I Do When Eating Carbohydrates to Avoid Gaining Weight?