What is high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS)?

High fructose corn syrup, also known as HFCS, is made when corn is reacted with certain enzymes to convert some of the glucose to fructose. Over the past 30 years, it has been added to a wide variety of processed foods in place of table sugar, known as sucrose. HFCS contains only 5% more fructose than sucrose, and proponents of HFCS claim that the body cannot tell the difference, stating that no research can prove HFCS directly causes obesity.

Alone, HFCS is probably not that harmful, however, it is typically associated with food products high in sugar, saturated fat and empty calories, and since its addition to food production, obesity rates have skyrocketed. More often than not, it appears in processed junk foods, desserts and sugary beverages, and these items should be limited.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

What are macronutrients?
ChuiceChuice
Macronutrients are energy-providing chemical substances we consume in large quantities. There are th...
How can I lower the glycemic index (GI) of foods?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
You can lower the glycemic index (GI) of some foods by cooking, cooling, and reheating. You can also...
What foods are high on the glycemic index?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
The Glycemic Index is a measure of the effect of carbohydrates on blood glucose levels and insulin p...
What Should I Do When Eating Carbohydrates to Avoid Gaining Weight?