How does eating simple carbs affect my health?

Ronald Tamler, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
To achieve better health, you should reduce your consumption of simple carbs. These include starches in bread, pasta, rice and potatoes or high-fructose corn syrup, and other caloric sweeteners in prepared and processed foods. People with higher intakes of simple carbs are more likely to have lower levels of HDL (good) cholesterol and higher levels of triglycerides (blood fats).

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates and Health

Hidden Sugars Are Not a Sweet Surprise
Hidden Sugars Are Not a Sweet Surprise
Lord Sugar (no kidding) is the star of the BBC One’s version of The Apprentice. Sugar Shane Mosley is a three-weight world boxing champ. And WBA guard...
What foods are low on the glycemic index?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
These foods are low on the glycemic index: Low-fat dairy Low-fat protein, tofu, nuts and legum...
Why should I avoid eating refined carbohydrates?
Peter Attia, MDPeter Attia, MD
You should avoid eating refined carbohydrates because they tend to change the body's hormone levels,...
What's the Difference Between Refined Carbohydrates and Slow Sugars?