How does oxidation contribute to cancer?

In many ways, oxidation is a good, naturally occurring thing that happens in your body. Your body needs oxidation for your immune system to work, for your body to protect itself. It helps kill off old cells to make room for new ones. So it's not a bad thing, but it has the potential for being bad. When oxidation turns bad is when there's too much (your body's version of rusting), so that its products (free radicals) damage the DNA to cause malignant cells or inhibit the mechanism that can clear cancer cells from your body.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Cancer

How Dangerous Is Vaping?
How Dangerous Is Vaping?
We know cigarette smoking is bad; it's the leading cause of preventable death. In fact, lighting up causes nearly 6 million annual deaths worldwide. B...
What is the role of somatic cells in cancer?
Somatic cells make up more than 99 percent of the body. Somatic cells are living, changing cells...
8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo
8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo
Cancer treatment can make mealtime tough, but these expert-approved tips can help.
If I Do Not Have Medical Insurance, What Problems Can I Face?