How can I be sure to stay properly hydrated during cancer treatments?

The “8 X 8 rule” is a good place to start. Aim to drink 8, 8-ounce glasses (for a total of 64 ounces) of caffeine-free fluid a day. Drinks that contain caffeine contribute to fluid loss. Here are some ways to make sure you stay properly hydrated:

• Drink fluids throughout the day instead of waiting to drink when you feel thirsty.
  • Keep a glass, cup or bottle of water in sight at all times. It is much more likely that you will drink fluids when they are within reach.
  • Keep track of the fluids you drink to make sure you are getting enough.

These beverages may be  counted toward your fluid goal:

• water
  • milk
  • decaf coffee
  • decaf tea
  • fruit or vegetable juice
  • decaf soda
  • sports drinks
  • liquid nutrition supplements
  • hot chocolate
  • milkshakes

These foods may be counted toward your fluid goal:

• soup and broth
  • gelatin
  • ice cream
  • fruit ice
  • popsicles
  • sorbets

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Is Cancer Finally on the Ropes?
Is Cancer Finally on the Ropes?
When it comes to defeating cancer, the numbers are improving, but we have a way to go: In 1990, 33.3 people out of every 100,000 in the US populati...
Who is a candidate for treatment with interventional oncology?
James G. Carlisle, MDJames G. Carlisle, MD
Typically the best candidates for treatment with interventional oncology using types of minimally in...
How can I make healthier choices during and after cancer treatment?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
For many people, a diagnosis of cancer helps them focus on their health in ways they may not have th...
What's the Role of My Primary Care Doctor After Cancer Treatment?