How is brachytherapy used to treat colorectal cancer?

Brachytherapy uses small pellets of radioactive material placed next to or directly into the cancer. The radiation travels only a short distance, limiting the effects on surrounding healthy tissues. It is sometimes used to treat people with rectal cancer, particularly people who are not healthy enough to tolerate curative surgery. This is generally a one-time only procedure and doesn't require daily visits for several weeks.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Surprising Treatment for C. diff and Chemo
Tomatoes were once considered poisonous -- even in Italy! -- and early pioneers were convinced that bathing was an open invitation to catching ...
What is biotherapy?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Biotherapy is the use of medication that increases the ability of the immune system to fight can...
How can I prevent blood from clotting in my central venous catheter?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
A central venous catheter (a soft, flexible tube that is placed into one of the main vessels leading...
Is It Possible to Prevent Cancer?
Is It Possible to Prevent Cancer?