Will eating broccoli fight cancer?

A new study from the University of Michigan and The Ohio State University found that a compound in broccoli, sulforaphane, fights breast cancer. And one of the more intriguing areas of disease prevention research is looking not just at what we eat – but at the protective effects of eating certain foods in combination with each other.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Judy Caplan
Studies show that broccoli is a chemopreventive agent. This means broccoli contains compounds that are known to prevent cancer. These compounds contain antioxidants that help prevent oxidation in the body. Eating broccoli a few times a week can help reduce your risk of developing certain types of cancer.

Continue Learning about Cancer Prevention

You’re a Cancer Survivor: Now What?
You’re a Cancer Survivor: Now What?
The National Cancer Institute says that in 2016, 15.5 million adult Americans were alive after a diagnosis of cancer. That number will hit 20.3 millio...
How can I use grapes to help reduce my risk of cancer?
Grown in the northern United States, dark grapes are known for their tart, musky flavor. Seeded ...
Why do scientists think statins might prevent cancer?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
By exploring the effects of statins on the process of cancer at the molecular level, researchers hav...
What Types of Cancer Can Diet Help Prevent?